frank olson music

frank olson music
My Website!

Boss DS-1 w/ a Champ Style tube amp... Lots of settings and overdrive goodness

If you're a guitarist, and you play electric guitar- then you've probably used (or own!) a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal.  This venerable pedal seems to make it's way on everyone's pedalboard at some point or another, and as a modding platform, it's become quite popular.  So, I thought I'd give it a run through to give everyone an idea of what it's capable of in stock form.
My goal was to be as comprehensive as possible when going through the range of gain available by the pedal.  So this video starts with the gain at "0" and ends with the gain at "10" (Full gain).  I even max out the tone at the end, so you can hear how much treble boost is available with the pedal.

You can hear that the pedal is gritty, right from the instant it's turned on.  And it only gets more saturated from there....

The amp and is a 5 watt hand wired tube amp, made by yours truly- and the speaker is a 12" Alnico from the 1950's.  The tubes are vintage 12ax7 and 6V6.  You can hear a tiny bit of overdrive in the amp even before I turn on the DS-1, but I chose to do that because I felt it was a normal amount of OD for the volume of the amp.

The layout was:
Single coil Strat > Boss DS-1 > Tube amp input > 12" Alnico speaker > Shure SM57....

Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoyed the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment